Thursday, February 23, 2012

Local grains!

I purchased some purple Tibetan barley at the West Seattle Farmer's market this week. It's grown right here in Western Washington by Whidbey Island Prairie Grains
Now you can add grains to your local diet.
I wasn't sure what to do with it, grains in their original forms are still a little new to me. Georgina(?) recommended beef and barley soup, and said there were recipes on the website. The recipe is very basic, just begging to be "souped up." I didn't change it up too much but here are a few things I did:
Browned the meat, I always brown beef and pork before making soup, this seals in the flavor.
Added a couple of bay leaves from my stash from a big pruning job I did last summer. I honestly don't know what bay does, but my Nana put it in all her stews, so there you go.
Carrots and Celery, the original recipe calls for just onion as a vegetable, but you can't have beef stew with out at least carrots.
Well that's all I added, then just dumped it into my rice cooker/crock pot and let it stew (pun intended.)
5 hours later...YUM! So good, the beef is super tender and the barley is really awesome, not mushy and flavorless like you get in most beef and barley soup. It has a lovely earthy flavor, I feel healthier just eating it. On that note, the recipe only calls for 3/4 of a cup of the purple barley, I think I could have doubled that and still have had plenty of broth left.
I look forward to trying some of these other local grains, but for now some glamour shots of my soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment