Wednesday, April 13, 2011

New boot break-in


Bought new boots with my REI dividend check. I haven't worn actual hiking boots for years, as I find the make my hips hurt. But after some embarrassing ankle turns last summer I have decided to try again. My current trail shoes are Merrell's and I love them, so I am giving these babies a try Merrell Moab XCR, (http://www.rei.com/product/754666.) Living in Seattle, waterproof-ness is a big issue, even in the summer it is often wet, not to mention all the streams you have to cross. I tried the higher version of the Chameleons I have now, but I could tell immediately they would rub my ankles the wrong way. I have the type of feet that if you look at them the wrong way I will get a blister. If they rub in the store I am unwilling to try and break them in. I actually have scars on the backs of my heels from past blisters.
So far the Moabs have been on a walk and helped to wash some dishes. They seem pretty comfortable, with a little numbness in the bottom of my foot, which I always get with new shoes. I think the numbness is more a lacing issue than a problem with the boot. Hopefully, I can get them comfortable enough to wear on the first big hiking trip of the year to Eastern Washington at the end of this month.

No comments:

Post a Comment